Support us – your fundraising guide
Thanks for your interest in our work, and for supporting Change Step. We’re thrilled that you’re considering helping us by raising money to support our service.
So we’ve gathered together a few hints, tips and resources to help your fundraising event go swimmingly – please have a little look at the sections below for more information. We’d encourage you to spread the word amongst your friends, family, colleagues and neighbours, and to attract support from wherever you can!
Every penny raised helps our mentors deliver vital support to other veterans in Wales
Don’t forget, we love to know what you’re up to and are happy to help as much as we can – so send us a picture and a few lines about your event and we’ll include you on our Change Step Wall of Fame!
YOUR FUNDRAISING IDEAS
You can trek, walk, run, swim or do just about anything you like to support Change Step – just choose a challenge or something you enjoy doing and get family, friends and colleagues to sponsor you!
Cakes for veterans! Most of us need an excuse for sweet treats now and then – get a brew going and enjoy
Get the kids involved by holding a non-uniform day, supermarket bag pack, quiz or fun activity! Just make sure you get the permission from your school, youth club, or other authorities
Everyone loves a bit of raffle drama, but there are a few rules you have to stick to.
- The value of prizes you have bought must total no more than £250 – there is no value limit for prizes which have been donated
- Tickets must be sold on the same premises and on the same day as the raffle is being drawn
- Tickets must all be sold at the same price
- Under-18s must have an adult with them to hold a raffle
- Alcoholic prizes can only be included if the raffle is held on licensed premises
Keep it small and simple and you won’t need a licence – if you’re more ambitious you might need to follow this guidance from the Gambling Commission.
The possibilities are endless! But please make sure that whatever you do, you remain safe at all times. We can provide guidance to help you organise your event, and complete any relevant risk assessments if necessary – please just get in touch.
It’s easy to set up your online donations page through JustGiving – the website will guide you through the whole process. But here are a few tips to keep you on the right track!
- To get a head start, click here and then on the orange Fundraise for us button
- If you log-in through the JustGiving homepage, make sure you select Change Step as your chosen charity when prompted
- Choose a realistic fundraising target – and then encourage everyone you know to support you!
- Encourage more people to support you by sharing your story – you’ll be invited to write a few sentences to let people know why you’re doing what you’re doing, and why you’ve chosen to support Change Step
- Remember you can share the link to your JustGiving page using email and your social media profiles
- Use photographs and regular updates to keep your contacts up-to-date with your training, or during your event (if you can)
- There are more tips on how to promote your event and JustGiving page below
Or you can fundraise direct through Facebook – just find and like our page, then click fundraise on the left hand side to start sharing the news with your friends and contacts.
You can download an old-fashioned hard-copy sponsorship form from the Fundraising Resources section below – make sure you use this to reach potential donors who aren’t as web-savvy!
There are more tips on how to promote your event below.
PROMOTE YOUR EVENT
There are lots of ways you can promote your event. We always love to hear from people who want to fundraise to support Change Step – and we’re very happy to provide whatever help we can.
Please just get in touch to let us know what you’re planning, and we’ll include news of some of the biggest, best and most inspirational events on our website!
- Remember to make the most of your social media profiles – use your Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms to show your support, and encourage your friends to share your exciting news. Don’t forget to keep us in the loop by tagging us in your updates using @changestepwales
- Photographs, photographs, photographs! All your friends, family and contacts will want to see you in training and during your event – but pictures (and maybe even video) will also help you to demonstrate your commitment to the cause. Don’t be camera-shy!
- You can now show your support for Change Step on your Facebook profile – click here to apply our special frame to your image (just search for Change Step). You can also add the filter to your pictures or movies through the Facebook mobile app!
- Or you can fundraise direct through Facebook – just find and like our page, then click fundraise on the left hand side to start sharing your news with friends and contacts.
- You can download other social media banners and resources from the Fundraising Resources section below
- You can download a poster template to publicise your event in the community or your workplace from the Fundraising Resources section below
- You could send details of your event or activity to your local paper or radio station using the template press release in the Fundraising Resources section below
Remember to tell people what your event is, why you’re doing it, and why it’s important to you – that way, they’re more likely to support you.